Definitions of design on the Web:
- the act of working out the form of something (as by making a sketch or outline or plan); "he contributed to the design of a new instrument"
- plan: make or work out a plan for; devise; "They contrived to murder their boss"; "design a new sales strategy"; "plan an attack"
- design something for a specific role or purpose or effect; "This room is not designed for work"
- an arrangement scheme; "the awkward design of the keyboard made operation difficult"; "it was an excellent design for living"; "a plan for seating guests"
- create the design for; create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner; "Chanel designed the famous suit"
- blueprint: something intended as a guide for making something else; "a blueprint for a house"; "a pattern for a skirt"
- a decorative or artistic work; "the coach had a design on the doors"
- make a design of; plan out in systematic, often graphic form; "design a better mousetrap"; "plan the new wing of the museum"
- purpose: an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions; "his intent was to provide a new translation"; "good intentions are not enough"; "it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs"; "he made no secret of his designs"
- create designs; "Dupont designs for the house of Chanel"
- conceive or fashion in the mind; invent; "She designed a good excuse for not attending classes that day"
- a preliminary sketch indicating the plan for something; "the design of a building"
- invention: the creation of something in the mind
- intend or have as a purpose; "She designed to go far in the world of business"
Design, usually considered in the context of the applied arts, engineering, architecture, and other such creative endeavors, is used both as a noun and a verb. As a verb, "to design" refers to the process of originating and developing a plan for a product, structure, or component. ...
Both the process and the result of structuring the elements of visual form; composition.
The plan, conception, or organization of a work of art; the arrangement of independent parts (the elements of art) to form a coordinated whole.
plan, organization, or arrangement of elements in a work of art.
The decorative composition printed onto wallpaper. The recurring design elements determine the vertical and horizontal repeats within a wallpaper.
A framework or scheme of construction on which artists base the nature of their total work. In a broader sense, design may be considered synonymous with the term "form".
Layout, selection of font and font size and typesetting of a book. See Cover Design.
to plan and fashion the form and structure of an object or work of art
An activity during which decisions are made about the geographic placement of and interaction between natural resources (eg, topography, vegetation) and built elements (eg, buildings, roads) in a specific area. ...
website structure and template webpages
The presentation of a media form showing the general look of the layout, colour etc to indicate how the final product will appear. (Source: IDM Marketing Guide 2006)