Curriculum Learning Space

Accounting  

Accounting

ForumForumGeneralGeneralGeneralGeneralThe prelim paper of 2008The prelim paper of 2008
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post
 10/2/2008 9:10 PM

I

I really feel the accounting prelim paper was too difficult. My learners struggle with comments and interpretation. I would like to suggest that we emphasise the accounting aspect and not so much the managerial part. Our learners are not all capable of being managers. Financially and academically. We are preventing the future adults to live to their potentialand indirect force them to go and study. What about the learner who is able to do basic accounting and will be satisfied to work in a office under the manager? We must cater for the gross majority of learners. We need the basics of accounting all over in South Africa, from shops on streetcorners, tuckshops at home up to big companies like Eskom. All business need this first step people to do the actual work before the manager can comment? Computer programs are used but a basic accounting knowlegde is of utmost importance even when using the easiest computer accounting package. I think a big problem is too many bosses and no workers!

I would like to know how you feel about this subject. Does the new curriculum get your vote?

Please let me know!

New Post
 10/11/2008 9:05 PM

i agree with you. my learnes are very negative towards the subject, because they feel its to difficult. they are so negative and i really don't now know how i'm going to let them see the importance of the subject. hopefully someone would listen and realize that the sillabus should be re-assessed.  we can only learn from our mistakes.

sharry

New Post
 10/16/2008 1:16 PM

We are publishers of accounting school books. My partner who compiled these books uses them (from grade 8 to 12) in his school. There they have used the grade 8 and 9 workbooks the last 2 years. This year the grade 10 learners increased with nearly 50 %.

I discussed this with him and the only conclusion wecan get to is that his learners enjoy the subject and understand it because of the solid basis they have in grade 8 and 9.

He also teach teachers in communities accounting and uses his books. Afterwards they say "our books are empty, but now we understand it using your books" 

See our books at www.lucem.co.za 

Previous Previous

Next Next
ForumForumGeneralGeneralGeneralGeneralThe prelim paper of 2008The prelim paper of 2008