Curriculum Learning Space

Accounting  

Accounting

ForumForumGeneralGeneralGeneralGeneralThe accounting prelim paper The accounting prelim paper
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post
 10/2/2008 9:28 PM

I think the accounting prelim paper was too difficult. My learners struggle with the comments and interpretation part of the paper.

The new accounting syllabus concentrates too much on the managerial aspect of accounting than accounting basics.

The majority of learners is not capable of thinking in this high order. The learner can build a future with the basic knowledge of accounting. All businesses from the tuckshop to Eskom needs a person to do the basic accounting work before the manager can comment on that. Even with computerized programs basic accounting knowledge is needed.

We are demotivationg and closing doors for our learners. They are not all able to go and study. In the past they could find a decent job with accounting on their matric certificate. Usually the child who works hard could have obtained a C or B symbol on their report card. Now only the really gifted child will get an C or B. Businesses also asked our schools for learners with good marks in accounting to give them in service training. Now the accounting they learn is not practical and not worth the trouble. The learners can not study for this insights but must rely on outside knowledge. Most of them do not have the facilities and means to get this experience. Some of them do not even undersstand the questions, nevermind the answering of it.

What do you as my peer educators in accounting think? Do you agree or is it only my learners that struggle?

Previous Previous

Next Next
ForumForumGeneralGeneralGeneralGeneralThe accounting prelim paper The accounting prelim paper